Will do Tot. I will only state at this time: That politics, some times make for some strange bed fellows)!!
This being one of those times.
This is an optional sales tax which could be put on a ballot by our board of commissioners for Liberty County so that we could vote on the matter.
If I understand it, that is.
That is why we need to ask for some help on this matter.
JM we can work together on this.
Thanks to you both.
I hope the rest of our cohorts will join us.
Homeowners need some relief.
"I would like to ask our Webmaster to look into this matter."
One "cohort" says: Why? If you go here:
and then type "Homestead Option Sales Tax" in the search field. You'll then get a list of links you can examine to your heart's delight. Here's one of them:
It's from 2010, but there's probably not much that has changed. The operative part reads:
"The final type of local sales and use tax is the lesser-known Homestead Option Sales Tax (HOST) which may be collected by counties that do not levy a LOST. A HOST is a sales and use tax option that must devote at least 80 percent of its proceeds to provide for an increased homestead exemption from county ad valorem taxes. The remaining 20 percent may be used for capital outlay projects and excess revenues must be used to adjust the millage rate. Only DeKalb and Rockdale counties currently utilize a HOST."
Of course, a key phrase in the above is:
"...which may be collected by counties that DO NOT (emphasis added) levy a LOST."
It looks like we had one of those (a LOST - not SPLOST) back in 2011 - see:
But I couldn't find any recent references to anything but SPLOST. Perhaps the LOST expired.
Leave it to Sebe and his facts to come here and pi$$ all over our budding voter coalition. Anyway...before the steam completely leaves me here are our City Council's email addys.
Proceed accordingly as above for:
District 4 Keith Jenkins
District 5 Kenneth Shaw
Oh yeah the Mayor Jim Thomas
Get this: The Liberty County Commissioners do NOT have emails to contact them. I was instructed by a lady named Evelyn to contact
Debbie.Whitehurst@libertycoga.com and she would bring them to our Commissioners.
God I love representative Government don't yall??!!
I think every city council property tax payer and every Liberty Council property tax payer should form into a group with one purpose and one purpose ONLY. To take on other issues would diminish our power. All members MUST BE REGISTERED VOTERS. If there are enough of us we will constitute a substantial voting BLOC. VOTE TO LOWER OUR PROPERTY TAXES OR WE WILL NOT VOTE FOR YOU. WE WILL NOT VOTE OR WE WILL VOTE FOR YOUR OPPONENT.
If they both sign to vote for lower property taxes then our group will by yay or nay pick one to throw ALL of our voting power behind in the election.
This will be difficult in an Army town, but if we become organized it can be done.
Do over: I think every person that pays property taxes in their city council representatives district and every Libery County taxpayer that lives in their Liberty County Commissioner's District should form into a group with one purpose and one purpose only.
The rest of the above is accurate.
Didn't intend to urinate on anything, just wanted to point out that "the Lord helps those who help themselves" and if one already has a LOST, they apparently can't also have a HOST.
Better to do the research beforehand than to expend unnecessary effort, no? But I'm not sure we actually have a LOST, or if somehow a SPLOST qualifies as a LOST. So I still think it would be worthwhile to ask the question and require our elected representatives to earn at least part of their money.
But I'm not sure we actually have a LOST,
I am afraid that we do have a LOST and if you are correct, and I imagine that you are, then apparently we cannot consider the option of HLOST.
I for one just simply know that Liberty County has one of the highest property tax rates in the State and many "old timers" are being forced off of their homesteads because on fixed incomes they cannot afford to pay their taxes.
I agree Tot. I still think the District Group concept has potential to shape our representatives perspectives on issues that cost taxpayers money, even IF we cannot have a HLOST.
None of them want to lose their jobs. Tough Cookies for them. A strong voting bloc would at least FORCE them on an individual basis to see what it takes for them to get our votes.
Last week, Timeontarget, asked me to look into what was believed to be called homestead local option sales tax, which could increase homestead exemptions for owner/occupants on property taxes.
I don't normally do research for other people. But the prospect of paying less in taxes intrigued me.
I couldn't find that name exactly. I did, however, find information about what state officials call the homestead option sales tax. But, after reading some of the original bill and an amendment made in 1997, I couldn't explain it any more than I could've won that billion bucks with a perfect March Madness bracket.
So I asked Liberty County Administrator Joey Brown, whose job is to keep up with possible sources of funding local governments. Here's what he wrote in an email:
"Homestead Option Sales Tax (HOST) is similar to the LOST (Local Option Sales Tax) with one difference. Both taxes require the rollback of millage rates. However, in HOST 80% of the rollback must be applied to homestead relief only and with the remaining 20% available for use for capital improvement. LOST requires 100% rollback of the millage rate on all property types. Counties cannot have both."
"Counties cannot have both."
That's what my research revealed and what I said in my Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 14:20 PM comment above. But from Mr. Brown's comment, I'm still not sure whether we already have a LOST (i.e., nominally or does a SPLOST equal a HOST?)
We do in fact already have a LOST.
Therefore we aren't in a position to consider implementing a HOST.
Our county commissioners who decided to put the LOST option before the voters many years ago were more interested in protecting the interest of the large land and property owners than in helping the homeowner and the small homestead.
I'm still not sure whether we already have a LOST (i.e., nominally or does a SPLOST equal a HOST?)
See above comment.
A SPLOST is the virtual opposite of a HOST.
A SPLOST is a SPECIAL PURPOSE LOCAL OPTION SALES TAX and the proceeds from that tax can only be used to finance special projects such as the new city hall and the new courthouse.
Meanwhile the lowly homeowner be damned.
Thanks to all for your consideration and commentary on this matter.
A special thanks to Mr. Watkins for clearing this matter up for us.
I'm going to Boca. Sit in the Sun, drink endless Margaritas until my liver turns into jelly, get up from my beach chair and stumble into the ocean and float away...