It may seem ridiculous, with all the rain we've been having, but today I have tips on WATERING YOUR PLANTS!
Last Saturday, we had been without rain for enough time that my outside flower beds needed watering; I went out and watered them and while doing so, I began to recall things which every gardener should remember about watering:
1. Water Thoroughly-it does the plant no good just to sprinkle the top of the soil. Water until the water runs out of the bottom of the pot, or until at least two joints of your forefinger are feel moisture when inserted into the soil.
2. Water as early in the day as you can so that the leaves can dry out before the evening. I made the mistake of not going out until the sun was high and I sweated out my hair and got way too hot.
3. Water plants, even those in beds, individually, making certain to reach the soil underneath, not just the tops of the plants.
4. Use a gentle nozzle spray when watering; that way enough water will reach the roots of the plant. A harsh jet spray can damage or disturb the roots.
5. In periods without sufficient rain, water regularly; don't let enough time pass between waterings that the plants will show signs of wilt or drought.
6. Some plants simply don't need as much water as others. Find out and be aware of the water needs of your plants.
If you have any questions or comments, leave them at this site and I will be happy to answer as quickly as i can.
NEXT TIME: THE HERB GARDEN
Blog has been viewed (292) times.